DIY: Studded T-Shirt

Hey everyone! I have a new t-shirt alteration DIY for you today. This one is really easy. All you need is a pack of studs, a pair of scissors, and a t-shirt!

20140224_191019

 

The shirt I used has the “No one left to play with” design from Shirt!Woot. I met a girl during the last International TableTop Day who had this shirt, so I bought it with a coupon I got in my Loot Crate. I love this shirt. It’s adorable, and it looks really cool in front of my LotR posters :).

20140224_191529

 

The first thing I did was to lay the shirt flat on the ground. I used tape to mark the bottom end of the cuts I was going to make, since I didn’t want to mark the front. If you’re going to wash it before you wear it (mine was already washed), you might want to use chalk to mark the line. I used scotch tape because 1) it’s easy to remove, and 2) it has its own straight line built in.

 20140224_191740

From there, I cut about 2cm wide strips from the top of the tape to the the top seam (or collar) of the shirt. This led to strips across the entire top of the shirt, from arm seam to arm seam-almost. I left about 2cm on each side in order to keep the shape of the shirt.

20140224_200650

I turned the shirt inside out and began to use the studs to “tie” together the strips of the shirts.  Turning it inside out allowed me to fold the prongs of the studs down better, and make sure each prong is holding the fabric tight (more on this in the next paragraph). As you can see, I used an alternating pattern that resulted in a diamond pattern, but you can use any pattern as you go through. The diamond pattern basically requires alternating between attaching a strip to the strip to its left, and attaching it to the strip to its right.

Note: Make sure you use studs with four prongs. Two prongs will not be enough to secure the shirt strips together. I used these studs, which I bought from Amazon.

I started from the middle and went out to each side, which I would recommend. It really lets you set your pattern of choice. Once I got to the end of the strips, I attached the proper part of the last strips to the pieces I left attach to the arm. It keeps the shirt’s arms from flopping around (that sounds weird, but I’m sure you know what I mean). All you have to do to stabilize the strips on the arms is poke the prongs through the shirt’s fabric and fold them over. 

And that is all this shirt requires! Like I said, there’s zero sewing. Also, this shirt keeps its sleeves, for all of you who were asking for a sleeved DIY :)

Here is the final result! Let me know what you think in the comments!

FinalStuddedShirt

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge